Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Oven Roasted Halibut with Spaghetti Squash

Oven Roasted Halibut with Spaghetti Squash... After a whirlwind eating extravaganza for the last two weeks I have decided to cook nice and light this week at home before taking off on another trip this weekend. I spent the past two weeks in South East Asia for work, gorging on dumplings and noodles and every morsel I could fit in my mouth. It was enjoyable but it's nice to be back to home cooked meals for a little while. Last night I wanted to make fish but was really feeling tired of tuna and salmon. I've been in a rut with those two fishes and decided to get myself out. At the store this weekend the Halibut happened to look great so I grabbed that along with a ton of veggies. I decided that I'd roast the halibut in the oven and then finish it with a little lemon/caper sauce atop spaghetti squash and some asparagus on the side.

The Halibut:
Super simple, in a foil pack with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper. I also put a couple of slices of lemon under the filet to add extra flavor. I put it in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes which was not enough so I cranked it up to 425 for another 15-20 minutes. It was a thick piece, about an inch and a half or more so it took a while but it came out perfectly flaky and moist. In fact I had a hard time getting a picture because it was so flaky it wouldn't stay in a nice piece... you'll get the idea though.






The Sauce:
In the last few minutes that the Halibut was cooking I simply sauteed a couple cloves of garlic and a big spoonful of capers in olive oil over medium/high heat. I added a bit of chicken stock and let it reduce, then the same again, think quarter of a cup at a time - I eyeball it. Then I added a bit of lemon juice and black pepper and a tiny slab of butter for a little richness. Fresh herbs would have been a good addition if I had had any.. parsley perhaps.





The Veggies:
The spaghetti squash I did as I always do, roasted face down with the skin up on a baking sheet at 350 for 30 minutes. Super easy then just fork out the insides.
The asparagus I also did in a foil packet, pretty much along side the halibut but took it out about 10 minutes before the halibut was ready. Little olive oil, salt and pepper and they steam up nicely without any mess in the foil.




It was an easy dinner and so Dahlish. Super light but also really flavorful. It was nice to get back to non fried food and a lack of carbs, although I can't say I didn't enjoy my gluttonous trip!

I'll definitely be trying more halibut recipe's!


No comments:

Post a Comment