Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Tuna & Acorn Squash

Tuna & Acorn Squash... It's that time of year when root vegetables & gourds are not only on display for your viewing pleasure, but are actually there for you to take home and cook! I've never done much cooking of squashes and fall veggies in the past, but this year I'm really feeling it. Last week at TJ's I saw a beautiful acorn squash and felt compelled to buy the little guy. I figured I'd find room for him somewhere in my belly. So, last night I decided it was time for the sweet gourd to play a part in my dinner.

On the Menu:
Broiled Lemon Tuna w/ Sauteed Broccolini & Roasted Acorn Squash

The Tuna:
While the squash cooked (which took about 45 minutes) I let my tuna marinate in lemon juice and a liberal shake of lemon pepper. Easy Peasy. Once the squash was out of the oven I popped the Tuna in  there (on the same baking sheet with new aluminum lining) and cooked for approximately 6 minutes on each side. The oven had been on 400 but I changed it to broil just as I slid the tuna steaks in. An extra squeeze of lemon after they came out and they were good to go!

The Broccolini:
Sauteed in garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. They really are such a great vegetable. As my significant other has said when I buy broccoli now "Who eats broccoli anymore when you have broccolini???". It's stems have a nice firm crunch and the thinner florets at the top absorb more of the garlicky olive oil. They also cook fairly quickly especially when lightly steamed for a minute at the very end before serving.

The Acorn Squash:
I started by cutting the squash in half. Well I did it the "wrong way" but it didn't seem to mater. They are sort of egg shaped with a small stem on each end. I think you are supposed to cut it the long way, but I cut right around the chubby center. Then I cut off the two top stem parts so that the halves could sit open and flat on the baking sheet. I scooped out all the seeds (just like a pumpkin or spaghetti squash) and drizzled with olive oil, a pinch of salt, and a sprinkle of cinnamon  I read a bunch of recipe's that suggested honey, maple sugar, brown sugar, butter, etc but I figured this would be a good way to get a little sweet taste without all the calories. Cinnamon is a great go to. And to be totally transparent I did add a thin slice of butter right before eating!







The good part about this dinner was that I felt as though I was getting some rich fall flavors and a warm starchy treat, while still eating a very low calorie and low fat meal. It was filling and easy and Dahlicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment