Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Shredded Slow Cooker Chicken

Shredded Slow Cooker Chicken... I have had a slow cooker for years, probably 6 or 7, and I don't think I have used it once. Many a time I have seen recipes that call for a slow cooker that look just fab and I think "I NEED to make that" - and then inevitably I don't. The idea of  slow cooker should be that it eliminates the labor of a meal cooked over an open flame which needs a watchful eye, however I always get bogged down by the recipe's which ask for the cook to brown the meat before putting it in the slow cooker. To me it defeats the point of why I'd use a slow cooker (though I suppose the real reason is to cook things long and slow so they are tender and full of flavor). Anyways, I'm essentially preaching to myself here.

This past week I don't know what inspired it but I just HAD to use that slow cooker. I did a quick search of the proportions one should use if they want to make simply shredded chicken in the slow cooker and I got to work. It was simple as can be. A few chicken breasts, 2 cups of liquid, some seasoning - 4 hours on high and shred with a fork. Literally...that.is.all.

Here is what I used:

  • 4 Chicken Breasts
  • 2 cups Water
  • 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • Salt and Pepper
You could use 2 cups of chicken or veggie broth instead, heck you could just use water if you didn't care too much about the extra flavor. I plan to use this chicken for dinners a couple nights this week where it will be seasoned according to the meal so it wasn't essential to have much more flavor infused in the chicken than from my list above. Everything on that list is optional - except the chicken and the 2 cups of liquid. Once the chicken is ready, 4 hours on high, you can fish it out with a fork and it literally just falls apart with the slightest prodding.






Now that I've gotten past the first use of the slow cooker, if anyone has must try favorites please let me know!

Hope everyone finds this super simple and Dahlicious way that I'm learning to love chicken helpful in their weekly cooking routine as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment