Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Brown Sugar Salmon

Brown Sugar Salmon... I am going to admit that this meal looks shockingly identical to the one directly below. But it's not. Kind of.

The essentials are the same: Salmon, snap peas, confetti rice. What can I say, when I make something Dahlicious I tend to crave it. And it's an admittedly super easy meal to make.

The Meal:
Brown Sugar Soy Salmon with green onions, confetti rice, and snap peas

The Salmon:
This is really the main differentiating factor in this meal vs the coconut one. I grabbed salmon at the store on Sunday (pretty much a weekly staple in my kitchen) and it was really a good piece of salmon. Sometimes they have better selections than other times, but I always opt to pay a little more for the wild fishies. This happened to just be a nice piece of fish, it was the perfect thickness (sometimes I get a piece of salmon that is awkwardly thin and not meaty and I hate that), and it had a great salmon taste without being fishy at all.

For the marinade I simply mixed together soy sauce, a spoonful of brown sugar, a couple drops of sesame oil, and a palm full of fresh chopped green onion. You could add garlic, or ginger or lime juice, or toasted sesames if you have them on hand - those would all make swell additions. I poured the mixture over top and let the filet soak up that yumminess while I got into zen mode at a yoga class. This meant my salmon got to marinate for about an hour before I came home and promptly placed it in the oven at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. The temp and timing will range depending on how large of a piece of fish you are working with, mine was about an inch and half thick and the thickest point and weighed about a pound.

Pre marinating

Post marinating - see how the salmon became a bit darker after soaking up the goodness??


While the fish was cooking away, I sauteed the greens in a bit of oil and then in a separate bowl whisked up a little concoction. I combined a bit of light teriyaki sauce (very thin stuff, not thick and sweet), juice from half a lime, a squirt of Sriracha, and a drop of sesame oil. I added that to the greens as they were finishing off which gave them a really nice little coating.



I served the whole thing atop that wonderful confetti rice and voila. Easy peasy in about 20 minutes.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment