Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chicken, White Bean, Quinoa Chili

Chicken, White Bean, Quinoa Chili... The original inspiration - I mean Pinspiration - came from this Post. I read it before heading to the grocery store so I stocked up on the things I saw on the ingredients list as well as a few things of my own - here is the list of what I used:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion
1 green bell pepper
1 jalapeno
1 lemon
2 garlic cloves
Chicken stock
Cumin
Salsa Verde (From TJs & this post last week )
Avocado
Quinoa (From TJs - precooked near the rices in the freezer section)

Fisrt step was getting the chicken going and normally for a soup or chili I would poach the chicken in water but tonight I decided to use the most handy dandy option of broiling. I popped the breasts on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper into the oven on broil for 10-15 minutes on each side. Once it was done I gave it a quick chop/shred and tossed it into the chili.

And now for that Chili...

I started by sauteing 1 medium yellow onion, 1 green bell pepper, 1 jalapeno pepper (deseeded for less heat), all chopped up in my fab le crueset. Next I added a little salt and 1 lemon's worth of juice ( I didn't have lime otherwise that would have been just perfect) along with a couple spoonfuls of the Salsa Verde and a can of drained rinsed white beans. I gave it a nice mix then added in a couple cups of chicken stock and a sprinkle of ground cumin as well as 2 bay leaves. I let the concoction simmer for about 30 minutes and added in the shredded chicken. A few minutes before serving I steamed the TJ's quinoa and added it to the stew/chili/soup - gave it a big mix and voila. Topped with sliced avocado it was perfectly healthful yet filling and super Dahlicious. It was flavorful with the cumin and the salsa verde and jalapeno but could be taken in so many directions - for instance adding cilantro, or even a spicy chorizo perhaps.

Garlic, Bell Pepper, Onion, Jalapeno sauteing

White Bean addition

Stock, Cumin, Bay Leaves




This would also be really easy to make totally vegetarian by omitting the chicken - it would still be quite hearty! Enjoy this filling yet healthful take on the heavier dark meaty chili that we usually turn to this time of year when its below freezing outside!

Enjoy and check back later this week for new experiments in spiralizing!!

Oh and on a totally unrelated side note I have this super simple amazing breakfast at a place down the street that I have become totally obsessed with. It isn't genius, it isn't fancy, in fact it's not even a proper breakfast that they have on the menu it's actually just 3 sides I combine for 1 meal and it.is.divine. I really need to learn how to poach an egg so that I can recreate this absolutely greatness at home. Dry rye toast, poached eggs, avocado with a squeeze of lime and salt - I mean COME ON.




No comments:

Post a Comment