Thursday, January 16, 2014

Green Carnitas Tacos

Green Carnitas Tacos... I made a stop at TJ's this weekend to stock up on a few things I hadn't purchased in a while. I go through phases now where I don't pop into a TJ's for weeks on end and I totally end up craving something I can only get there. A few things I find particularly handy from TJ's include:


  1. Frozen already steamed rice - comes in brown rice, confetti rice, wild rice medley, quinoa etc
  2. Ready to eat shelled edamame
  3. Mexican Carnitas


That's just to name a few but the list is long. Anywho last week I needed a restocking on all of the above items and so off to TJ's I went.

In addition to the Carnitas I grabbed a jar of their Salsa Verde which is the perfect accompaniment. Not sure if I have mentioned on here before but my mom has actually been using this combo for YEARS to make quick burritos or even stuffed quesadillas at home.

This is a super simple meal that you can make as straightforward or as complex as you want and it really takes about 10 minutes.

What I used:

  • 1 package TJ's alrady cooked Mexican Carnitas
  • 1 Jar TJ's Salsa Verde
  • 1 Can seasoned black beans
  • Veggies (I used asparagus and red bell pepper because it's what I had)
  • Tortillas (I used little corn tortillas)
  • Garnishes - I used lime, cilantro, & avocado but sour cream, cheese, onion, pico de gallo would all be great if you have them
Of course I used my new Le Creuset because I'm obsessed but you could use any deep saute pan. Simply remove the carnitas from the package (usually it is in one large hunk) and shred it by hand. You could use a large knife and chop it on a cutting board or shred with a fork. I just do it by hand tearing into bite sized chunks and let is heat up in the pan over medium/high heat for a few minutes. You can get it crispy if you like it that way. Then add the whole jar of sauce, well eyeball it depending on your pan and how much sauce you want. I'm a saucy kinda girl so I like the whole jar in there. Then cover with a lid (or not) and let it simmer for about 10 minutes just to heat all the way through and absorb the flavor. I also used tongs to even break the pieces down smaller and shreddier (I think that should be a real word).

While the carnitas are simmering away on low heat, bring your black beans to a boil in a small pot and then turn down the heat to low as well. Additional at that point I sliced up a bell pepper and a bunch of asparagus and threw them on the grill pan to give them a char. Also right at the end I popped a few tortillas onto a baking sheet and in the oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes just to warm them.

Once everything came together in about 15 minutes I assembled. First the veggies and beans got their spot on the plate, then the tacos were stuffed with the green carnitas and topped with a squeeze of lime, a few hunks of avocado and a flurry of cilantro leaves. Voila!












Enjoy these Dahlicious bits of carnitas goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment