Friday, May 17, 2013

Chicken & Eggplant in Indian Simmer Sauce

Chicken & Eggplant in Indian Simmer Sauce... This was actually a super simple meal for 1 and took no time at all. I can't take too much credit for doing much but chopping and assembling but it totally hit the spot. I love Indian food and I've found some good jarred sauces that are perfect in a pinch at home to give that flavor. The one I used in this is a medium hot Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce that you can find at many grocery stores, I think even at TJ's! For those of you who have never had a Tikka Masala dish, it is a creamy tomato based sauce with lots of Dahlicious seasonings - it is general not a very spicy dish but there are many versions.

What I Used:
1 Small eggplant
1 Zucchini
1 Yellow Onion
4 Chicken Tenders
3-4 table spoons jarred Tikka Masala Sauce
1 Lime

How To:
I gave all of my veggies a rough chop so they were in similarly proportioned bite sized pieces. I tossed them in a saute pan with a liberal pour of olive oil over high/medium heat and let them brown. While that was happening I diced up my chicken and sauteed those pieces in a separate pan. Once they were fully cooked I added them to my browning veggies. I added a few big spoonfuls of the simmer sauce and a squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of salt and let the whole thing simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavor.

Chopped veggies

The sauce!

Sauteing veggies pre-sauce

Dinner - voila!


You could easily serve this over rice, but I opted for the carb-less version and enjoyed the steaming chicken and veggie combo solo. It was full of flavor without being too hot at all. I love flavorful spice, but not burn your mouth/ruin your meal kind of heat. If you do like that you can always opt for a hotter version of the sauce or add some sriracha or chopped jalapeno to kick it up.

This meal took about 20 minutes and was really hearty - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment