Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Grilled Pork Chop with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce

Grilled Pork Chop with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce... I go in and out of phases of making pork chops, I'm in a phase right now. They're easy and a little different than white meat chicken or some sort of seafood. If they're grilled the right way and not overdone they can be quite juicy and Dahlicious. I prefer buying the ticker ones, or getting a butterflied boneless chop from the butcher. This week that's exactly what I did. One big butterflied chop, half for dinner half for leftover lunch. I decided to give this dinner some middle eastern inspired flavor by adding my Biryani Spice Blend to the sauteed Kale and by making a Tzatziki sauce - I just happened to have all of the ingredients on hand!

The Sauce:
To make the sauce you will need the following -

  • Plain Greek Yogurt
  • Cucumber (I had small Persian cucumbers but regular ones would work too)
  • Lime
  • Fresh mint (optional but greatly enhances the flavor - dill could be used also/instead)
  • Also optional is a little salt and dried oregano, I added these this time thought usually I am a purist and don't.
First peel the cucumber, then using the smallest side of your grater, grate the cucumber into a paper towel. Cucumbers are full of water and for this you'll want to remove most of the water that comes out. I have seen recipe's where they take the seeds out and use a food processor and then drain - but I think that simply grating works too. Use the paper towel to squeeze out most of the water, I like to keep a little for more cucumber flavor, but this is up to you.





Next, chop up a handful of fresh mint leaves, really really fine. You could do the same if you have dill. 

Add the cucumber ( I used a full little cucumber) and the fresh mint and half of a lime's worth of juice to a bowl. Now add a heaping scoop (think a few tablespoons) of the Greek Yogurt. Give it a good vigorous whisk with a fork and taste it. Add salt, lime, oregano, paprika  whatever you want to enhance the flavor to your liking. Place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.




This can be used as a sauce or a great marinade. It's tangy and minty and add's a very fresh, cool flavor to the meal.

The Chop:
I simply seasoned it with some garlic pepper I bought from Mariano's and grilled it for about 5 minutes on each side on my grill pan. I turned the temp down and put a lid over the top to let it cook through - I cut into it a few times to see if it was done.


The Kale:
Chopped, rinsed, sauteed with olive oil. Sprinkled with Biryani Spice blend in the last few minutes before serving.



The Acorn Squash:
Cut in half, de-seeded, drizzled with olive oil and organic blue agave. Placed on a baking dish skin side up at 450 for 35 minutes. Perfection.


Dinner is served!!


No comments:

Post a Comment