Friday, May 3, 2013

Dahlicious Lunches: Cucumber Boats of Egg Salad

Dahlicious Lunches: Cucumber Boats of Egg Salad... I wanted to share a quick lunch I whipped up today working from home. I am going out of town this weekend and felt the need to use all of the random last tid bits in my fridge that would otherwise go bad on my trip. I knew it would be a hodge podge lunch but it turned out better than I'd expected.

What I had to use:
A few slices of turkey
1 Avocado
Little Persian Cucumbers (I only used 1)
1 hard boiled egg (I ate the other two at lunch yesterday and this was the last one!)

Other things I also used:
4 Little sweet pickles
1 large table spoon of Greek Yogurt
2 types of mustard (spicy brown and grainy)
Balsamic Glaze

On My Plate

  1. Rolled Turkey Slices with Grainy Mustard
  2. Sliced Avocado drizzled with Balsamic Glaze
  3. Cucumber Boats with Greek Yogurt Egg Salad (see the how to below this photo!)

Lunch!

The first two are pretty self explanatory.

But the egg salad was the fun part. I simply grabbed one of the Persian cucumbers, lopped off the ends and cut it long ways down the center. Then I took a small spoon and ran it through the seedy inside of each half, scooping them into "boats". I then chopped my hard boiled egg into bite sized bits and tossed it in a bowl. To that I added 4 little chopped sweet pickles. Next one large tablespoon of plain Greek Yogurt and a squeeze of spicy brown mustard. I gave it a good mix with a large fork and piled it into my cucumber boats. It was so perfect, easy to pick up and the cucumber was a great crunchy vessel for the egg salad. To be honest I was going to use mayo for my egg salad but I was out! So I used what I had (aka the Greek Yogurt) and much to my surprise it was Dahlish. It wasn't too tart as I was afraid it might be, and of course we all know that Greek Yogurt is lower in fat and calories and higher in protein than mayo so that was of course a positive!


Close up on my egg salad cucumber boats. What beauties right??
Happy to share a new hodge podge lunch idea to kick start the weekend! Happy Friday yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment