Friday, April 18, 2014

Gumbo-lay-ella

Gumbo-lay-ella... So I got the name for this meal by smashing gumbo, jambalaya, and paella  together because I feel like the hot pot dinner was basically a mish mash of those things - with my own twists and shortcuts of course.

What I used:

  • 4 turkey andouille sausages
  • a dozen fresh shrimp
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 can of water
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 bunch of fresh green beans (cut in pieces about 1 inch in length)
  • 1 box Spanish rice ( planned to use quinoa or brown rice but this was all I had in the pantry!)
  • 1 Lemon (optional, but I love lemon)
How to:

In a large/deep saute pan (I used my trust le creuset) saute the garlic and diced bell pepper over medium high heat with a little salt and pepper. Saute until they are starting to crackle and soften. Add the diced sausages and allow it to heat all the way through, perhaps even crisp up on the edges. Next add in the chopped green beans and the corn, make sure you rinse and drain the corn in a strainer before adding. Again give it all a good stir/toss. Keep the heat at medium and add the canned tomatoes, then fill that can about half way with water and add that as well. Put a lid on it and let it come to a simmer for a few minutes. Last add in your fresh uncooked shrimp, right into the simmering/boiling pot and make sue they are fully covered in liquid - they will only take a few minutes to cook. Turn the heat down to low once the shrimp and done and let the concoction sit until you are ready to serve. While doing this, cook rice per instructions - the rice I had took about 25 minutes so I started it a little before the other pot.

Turkey Andouille Sausage from Whole Foods, super dahlish!

Tee rice I had on hand.. I guess it wasn't "Spanish"

Garlic, bell pepper, sausage & green beans

Adding my shrimps! 
I'm not ashamed for you to see the butter at the end, it added a really perfect silkiness that was totally worth it


Once everything is finished, place a large scoop of rice in the center of a cream soup bowl (shallow bowl) and then ladled the rest on top. The dish is somewhere between a soup and a stir fry over rice. The tomatoey broth soaks up nicely in the rice but the contents are hearty and chunky and really hold their own. Before eating I squeezed a liberal amount of lemon juice over top - I personally think lemon and lime bring out the best in almost any dish, but especially something with a bit of spicy heat like this one.




Anyways, hope everyone enjoys this Dahlicious and I must add easy meal! Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment