Monday, April 14, 2014

Playing Catch Up

Playing Catch Up... Let me tell you, moving to a new apartment (with a beautiful kitchen I might add) is exciting but also a lot of work. It also means that during this transition period I have not been cooking quite as much as normal and when I have, it's mostly been repeats. However I do have a few things I have tried recently... some worked, some didn't so I will definitely be sharing those below.

Here is a recap on what I've been making and eating lately. Does anyone have anything really great they have made lately?? If so let me know, I'm thirsting for some inspiration!

Bolognese & Spiralized Pasta
I love a good meat sauce, such a comfort food. I happened to have a box of San Marzano tomatoes that I really wanted to use so 1/2 a lb of pork and 1/2 a lb of beef, one onion, a bunch of garlic and herbs and I got myself that sauce I wanted. It's so simple but so Dahlicious. I wanted to be "good" by eating it with veggie noodles but couldn't help but have a little bread and butter on the side.








Chicken in Speck:
Really similar to one of my fav go-to's chicken wrapped in proscuitto but we happened to have some Speck instead and it was just swell. So simple but really locks in the juiciness of the chicken breast and gives a great salty crunchy exterior. Served up with a heaping scoop of roasted cauliflower and brocolini.




Slow Cooker Stir Fry
Ok this is one I am going to say was a fail. I am new to the slow cooker thing and I liked the idea of dumping everything in. And the chicken was good, tender... but the veggies were mush. Will not repeat this one.

Slow Cooker Balsamic Roast Beef:
This was random but ran across a recipe and went for it. The beef was tender but despite ALL of the flavorful ingredients I felt like it was lacking something. I can't put my finger on it but I will be investigating and experimenting going forward. This is how I made it:

  • 2lb chuck roast
  • 1/2 cup beef stock
  • 1/4 cup balsamic
  • spoonful soy sauce
  • spoonful honey
  • spoonful Worcestershire
  • 4 crushed garlic cloves
  • sprinkle of red pepper flakes




On low for 8 hours. I served it atop quinoa with some roasted carrots diced up and tossed in, and along side some sauteed asparagus. I didn't get any great pics, I was in a hurry to eat as it was post yoga and I was RAVENOUS.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment