Tuesday, June 9, 2015

May Roundup

May Roundup... I really like these roundups because it's giving me an opportunity to look back on all the Dahlicious things I've consumed in the month... and it's giving me an opportunity to fully accept why I am not 10 lbs lighter. Without further ado, here is what I stuffed my face with in May of 2015:


The Angry Crab: The first of a new series of "Adventure Date Nights" with our couple friends. I found this place via instagram and let me tell you it did not disappoint. After a lengthy drive to a part of town we were not familiar with, we sat down at this BYOB locale to enjoy bags of shellfish tossed in yummy sauces galore.

Shrimp, Crab Legs, Craw Fish

The aftermath with my namesake beer

Shrimp Roll by the pool: Such a perfect summer bite. Hunks of tender shrimp tossed in mayo and fresh herbs like dill and spicy arugula, stuffed on a super buttery roll and served with salt & vinegar chips. Yes please.


Portillo's: This was one of those nights where my eyes were way bigger than my stomach. I normally order an Italian beef but that night I thought I needed a BIG BEEF as well as a hot dog as well as cheese fries. I am proud to say I finished the beef, had half the fries and took at least 2 bites of the dog.

Look how iddy biddy the hot dog looks next to the Big Beef!!!!

Cinco De Mayo: What a perfect night to treat yourself to the most simple, buttery, cheesy treat - a quesadilla. I was all too pleased to scarf this down with some shredded chicken for lean protein (jaja) and a glob of sour cream because, why not??




Shredded Chicken: The rest of that shredded chicken was used another night that week for a dinner that included a large arugula & buratta salad with a side of chicken vodka fusilli.



Brekkie at The Palace Grill: This place is just around the corner from us and came highly recommended by a friend. It's a total classic diner, and a great spot for a big Dahlicious over hang skillet.

Sauteed onion and bacon hash topped with American Cheese & Fried Eggs

Pork Chops in a Brine: This was interesting. I have never used a brine before but I followed what I thought was a simple one. I let it brine for 24 hours and while the chops were tender and juice and not overcooked they were the saltiest things I have just about ever eaten. I'll have to work on that one.




Jon & Vinny's: While these are not pictures from my actual meal, these are two of the dishes we did order and LOVE at this LA hot spot. I could potentially survive on those meatballs with ricotta and focaccia.


Trader Joe's Cabernet Pot RoastThis was easy and super Dahlicious. It's not a lovely picture but I served this pot roast over wide noodles (aka lasagna noodles I snapped in half before cooking) along side roasted Brussels. Oh and a small glob of sour cream and some fresh chives mixed in... kind of made it stroganoff-esq.



Simple Stir Fry & Pot Stickers


Shredded Beef Super Burrito from De Pasada:  I had like 3 nights in row where I couldn't fall asleep because I was dreaming about a perfect burrito. This is one of my favorite things in the world... a soft stretchy tortilla, wrapped around shredded carnitas, a little rice, a little beans, a lot of guac, sour cream, pico, cheese, and a bit of super shredded lettuce. But I had not been able to find such a treat in the Chicago area, despite knowing it had to exist. Anyways, when I couldn't take the craving any longer I started the Yelp hunt and found this gem. I have ordered it twice since and have been happy each time... now I need to visit in person!!



Pizza by the pool: A favorite summer past time, am I right?? This one topped with Prosciutto & Arugula


Lunch at Home Baguette Style: I love me a good open faced sammy. One side used up buratta, roasted bell peppers, and prosciutto. The other was slathered in pesto topped with marinated artichoke hearts and shaved Parmesan.




Roasted pork chop over lentils & kale : This was actually pretty Dahlicious even though it looks outrageously boring


Ellie's: Lunch with my mom in San Clemente featured a trio of salads and sandos!


Egg's Anna at Anastasia Cafe: My favorite breakfast to have when I'm home is the Eggs Anna which is sourdough toast with proscuitto, arugula, poached egg and a yummy light creamy thyme sauce. Note that my dining partner had their special benedict which is italian sausage over hash browns with poached eggs and holandaise. YUM. Plus their signatute side of french toast which is one of the best things I have ever eaten. That crazy dark sauce is their caramel syrup.


Tula Market: And this my friendsis the place that serves up the burritos I have been craving. This place is a gold mine, its a small Mexican market that dishes out the most outrageously huge and incredibly Dahlicious food... for super reasonable prices. This was a post lunch, pre dinner "snack" so I couldn't indulge in the full burrito but the taco featured below is roughly the size of a small child's head.


Nando's Peri Peri: This a new spot on our block that has been MOBBED ever since they opened their doors. They serve up South African style grilled chicken with fun sauces and an assortment of sides. I got the grilled chicken with lemon sauce, smashed peas and coleslaw.


Radish Round Two: Coffee Rubbed Pork Shoulder, Braised Kohlrabi, Turnip/Carrot Salad. Check out my first experience with this awesome Chicago based food delivery service here.


Charred Beets & Buratta: You guessed it, by the pool! Topped with pistachios. Perfection.


Egg white Omelette with Fresh Spinach & Fruit: Probably my healthiest meal of the month


Sunday Breakfast at Home: Greek Yogurt, Watermelon, Blueberries, Chia Seeds, Hemp Seeds, Organic Blue Agave


Sunday Feast: Basically a brunch that has everything you could ever want from salads to waffles to an oyster bar to mac n cheese. The desserts are outrageous and so are the meatballs.

Meatballs, italian sausage, lasagna, roasted tomatoes, mac n cheese, brocolini


That's all friends! I'll be back soon for with some more Dahlicious Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment