Thursday, June 7, 2012

Salsa Verde Tuna Steaks


It’s been a hectic week with work and out of town guests but I managed to make dinner at home last night!
 
On the Menu:
Salsa Verde Tuna Steaks with sautéed broccoli and brussels sprouts, “south of the border” black beans, and a beet-cucumber chopped salad.
 
The Tuna:
Set the oven to 450 degrees. Place the tuna in a Pyrex pan. Squeeze half a lemon and fresh ground pepper over the top. Then place a few large table spoons of the Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde over the tuna steaks. Put a layer of aluminum foil over the top and put it in the fridge for 15 minutes to marinate. Put the tuna in the oven for 8 minutes if you like the center a bit rare and 12 minutes for a fully cooked center. The roasting and the salsa verde keep the tuna tender and moist on the inside even when cooked all the way through.
 
The Veggies:
Use a garlic press on one large clove of garlic and put it in a sauce pan with a drizzle of oil  on medium heat (I’ve started to use grape seed oil instead of olive oil lately but either will do). Add the shaved/chopped Brussels and let them start to soften. Then toss in the broccoli with a spoonful or two of water, put the lid on and let them steam away!
 
The Black Beans:
I recently started buying Trader Joe's Cuban Style Black Beans, so I had planned on using those which I already had in the pantry. Unfortunately I realized when I grabbed them that they were just regular black beans in sea salt… So I started thinking about what I had around that could spice them up – literally. I remembered that just a while back I made ground turkey taco salads using Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning. I still had half the packet left so I threw in a few pinches of that with a squeeze of lemon and let it simmer until I was ready to serve it up.
 
Side Salad:
Simply chop cucumbers and beets (I usually buy the pre packed steamed beets from TJ’s which are near the bagged lettuces in the produce section) into small bite sides piece and toss with some olive oil. Add feta or any other tid bits of Dahliciousness for a bright and crunchy side salad.
 
Serve and savor a scoop of each side along with the tuna for a healthy, hearty, Dahlicious meal packed with flavor!

Marinating the tuna steaks
Brussels & Broccoli
Black beans w/taco seasoning
Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment