Wednesday, June 27, 2012

30 Min Tuesday Dinner: Pulled BBQ Chicken

Pulled BBQ Chicken... It's Tuesday, I'm a little tired, but I planned to cook at home and thus I decide to make something with a few simple ingredients on hand.
Chicken Breasts
Sweet Potatoes
Haricot Vert (string beans essentially)
BBQ Sauce


...SIMPLE!


On the Menu:
Pulled BBQ Chicken with sauteed haricot vert and baked sweet potatoes


The Chicken:
As I've mentioned before I've really started to master the whole roasting chicken thing (which is good because I somewhat despise grilled chicken - too boring for moi!), so tonight the roasting continues. Normally when I roast chicken it involves legs, thighs, or breasts still on the bone, skin and all. I generally like dark meat best, but I had boneless skinless chicken breasts on hand so I decided to roast them in a bit of olive oil and grill seasoning. I would suggest doing this on 375/400 for approximately 20 minutes ( I was using two large breasts). After the 20 minutes was up they were juicy and tender, perfect for pulling! Using a knife and fork I broke the larger breasts down into shredded chunks. Then in a large sauce pan I poured a liberal douse of TJ's BBQ sauce and let it heat up for a minute or two over medium heat. I threw in the chicken, give it a good mix and let it sit on low heat until ready to serve. ( 30 minutes in total.. 20 to roast, 3 or 4 to pull/shred, 6-7 to mix with the heating sauce).

Pre Roasting

Pulling/Shredding the roasted Chicken

TJ's - Actually quite Dahlish!
Toss & Simmer
The Sides:


  1. Greens: Saute some greens, I had haricot vert, in a bit of olive oil and then add a splash of water and cover with a lid to let them steam at the very end. Done in 5 minutes. 
  2. Sweet Potatoes: The sweet potatoes should be treated just like a regular potato. Give them a rinse, add a few slices or pokes in the skin, and (as an optional addition) cut off the two nubby ends. You can use a combination of microwave and oven to "bake: your potato, or just microwave if you're short on time. I usually just throw them in there on a paper towel and press the pre set potato cooking option.. not sure how many minutes but maybe 6-8 would do the trick?



Tuesday Night BBQ, without the BBQ!
Anyways, this was a super simple meal out of very few ingredients that I had on hand. Not to mention it was satisfying, Dahlicious and balanced as well! Lasttly, sometimes you are craving that BBQ taste, but you don't have the time or energy or resources to actually grill out - so here's your solution!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment