Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chicken Sausage & a Yellow Tomato Sauce

Chicken Sausage & a Yellow Tomato Sauce... As I've mentioned before I LOVE making sauces. Of course there are those instances when time, energy, or ingredients don't lend themselves to a sauce making dinner, but last night they did. 

What I Had:
Garlic
Baby Yellow Tomatoes
1Yellow Bell Pepper
1Yellow Onion
1 Bag of Spinach
White Wine

The Sauce:
I gave the onions a good chop, fairly small pieces, dime sized we'll say. Then I sauteed them with a few crushed cloves of garlic in a liberal pour of olive oil. While sautéing I added a layer of seasoning: salt, pepper, crushed dried oregano, and crushed dried basil. Next I added in the chopped yellow bell pepper, cut into similar size pieces as the onion (it's good to cook veggies cut into similar sizes so that things cook evenly). 


Once those were getting nice and tender, slightly caramelized I added in the little baby yellow/orange tomatoes. These little things were so sweet and perfect on their own that I knew they'd be great in a sauce. I really suggest that if you make your own sauce with fresh tomatoes, that you add them to the saute pan whole - as opposed to cutting them up. I think they are much tastier if you let them heat up and naturally break down (or once they're quite tender you can squish them up if you want), this allows their juices to add to the sauce. 



Once the tomatoes broke down, I added a hearty splash of white wine, a squeeze of lemon, and a PINCH of sugar (go light on the sugar but a little brings out some great flavor). I let the sauce simmer and kept adding a bit of white wine until it was the reduced consistency I wanted. Then I added a nice little slice of butter (seriously don't even care about the calories here, just add a little butter I'm telling you it makes ALL the difference, a rich creaminess you will not be disappointed with). Last but not least I added the bag of spinach, just one handful at a time and let it melt into the sauce for a nice added veggie bonus.


Once the sausages were fully grilled, and the pasta was al dente, I tossed it with the sauce and voila! As you can see with the picture below I was so excited to gdve into it that I forgot to take a picture until a few bites into it!

My last tip on a sauce like this is to actually let it cool just a tad before serving, I truly think it enhances the flavor!! Dahlish!!


No comments:

Post a Comment