Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Semi Joe Made: Chicken Sausage Tortellini


Semi Joe Made: Chicken Sausage Tortellini...It was Monday, I was feeling lazy, but I was also feeling a bit guilty that I had a fridge full of groceries to use and alas I had to make something. I didn’t get to eat much of a lunch yesterday so I was quite hungry when I got home and I was in no mood to be creative or make anything from scratch.

*Side Note on the Title*: I am thinking I may end up doing a series of “Semi Joe Made” posts where I use lots of TJ’s pre-cooked items and show some good ways to throw together an extremely quick meal. Additionally, I can only hope that some of you are putting two and two together here and recognizing my reference to not only Trader Joe’s but also to the Food Network show Semi Home Made.. is it bad when you have to explain your own joke?? Oops.

Anyways last night’s meal was one of those meals where I can’t take any credit for a recipe or even for cooking really, more just for the cutting, sautéing, and eating.

On The Menu:
TJ’s Chicken Sausage with peppers, broccolini, and spinach tortellini

What I Used:
  • Trader Joe’s Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage – fully cooked all you have to do is grill them or sautee them
  • 1 Orange bell pepper – chopped
  • 4 Pieces of broccolini – any green would do, I just had these, also chopped
  • Package of TJ’s little spinach tortellini – well I didn’t use the whole package but I trust you can eyeball how much to use
  • 1 Jar of TJ’s “Recipe 99 – Traditional Marinara Sauce” – you know I like making my own sauces and it is pretty easy, but last night was just not the night that this was going to happen, so in a pinch this is what I used. Also not the whole jar but more an appropriate amount for the volume of food you plan to serve/consume.




Here’s How:
I gave the veggies a rough chop and let them sauté for a few minutes in oil over high heat. I took two of the chicken sausages and cut them on the diagonal. I added these guys to the sizzling pan and let them brown on both sides.
I brought a pot of water to a boil and dropped in the little tortellini for just 3-4 minutes (they cook quickly!). While the pasta was boiling away I added the sauce to my veggies and chicken sausage and turned the heat down to medium low. I let this simmer together for a few minutes, drained the pasta and added it in. Gave it a good toss and voila!






Easy Peasy and pretty tasty. Hope yall are inspired to grab some Dahlicious TJ’s items to keep on hand in case you are in the mood for a “Semi Joe Made” dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment